Friday, April 22, 2011

Reflections on "Good Friday."

Do you think that when Jesus sat with His friends around the dinner table that night passing around bread and wine, urging them to remember His sacrifice, what He had in mind was our version of "Good Friday?" Do you think he was hoping for late night worship services? How about large programs? Did He hope that once a year we would look to the event of the cross and feel sad... guilty... shameful or confused? What was the point? What is the point of Good Friday I wonder?

Ironically the most common feelings in most human beings on Good Friday are things like confusion, shame, guilt and sadness. Almost as if we will hurt Jesus' feelings if we don't take a few moments in the evening on this day to furrow our brow, sadden our face, and be solemn. I guess for me it's always been less about how Jesus is "feeling," and more about how I am feeling. I've never really known how to act, so I sort of make it up. I spend the day a little more contemplative then usual, but I am in essence just putting in my time of feeling sad and guilty.

Can this possibly be what Jesus was after? No way, in fact, I'm convinced today that in fact our typical Christian approach to Good Friday actually steals from and cheapens the impact that this historical event was meant to have. It starts with rejecting one of the most common misconceptions about Good Friday...

My sin forced Jesus to the cross

Believing this is what makes me feel guilty and shameful on a day like today. How could I? It's my fault, my sin, my mess that forced Jesus to endure the suffering and pain of crucifixion.

Believing this makes me want to close my eyes and pretend it's not there. Believing this makes me feel even more guilt for somehow not taking it serious enough. I feel shameful, and imprisoned my own lack of faithfulness. This breads fear, anxiety, guilt and a sense of obligation. All of these things are what Jesus came to rule out of our lives!!!

How is it that we have taken a day that represents the end of condemnation (Romans 8:1), and turned it into a day that we place condemnation on ourselves.

Bottom line, you didn't put Jesus on the cross, I didn't put Jesus on the cross, He went on His own accord. He set aside his position of glory, and took on human flesh, becoming obedient to death on a cross because He chose to. Stop giving yourself so much credit! You and I do not have the power to control the God of the universe. He did it, for free, as a gift, and it was His idea and free choice.

Today, instead of feeling guilty, sad, and shameful; Instead of feeling a sense of obligation about all the Christ did, instead, I want to elevate it and celebrate it by basking in all that it accomplished in my life. That is what gives power to in in my own life. Today I choose the freedom, righteousness, grace and power that the cross offers. I choose to celebrate, not cry. I choose to smile, not frown. I choose to live, because that is why He came, that I might have life, and life to the fullest.

Scripture reminds us that, "It is for freedom, that we have been set free."

Live in it, walk in it and celebrate today, and you will be placing Christ and His work on the cross at center stage in your life. Then, choose to live in it every day for the rest of your lives.

If we celebrate the cross once a year, we have entirely missed the point of what today means. I pray that today, my heart would be set on living in the power the cross gave me, and letting it change the way I live, move and breathe.

So tonight, I am going to reflect on the cross, I am going to worship Him for the gift, and then I am going to watch the Lakers kick the Hornets butts in game 3 of there playoff series, and I am going to celebrate the freedom I have been given to do so! It is for freedom I have been set free.

Thanks you Jesus for giving your Life so that I could have real life! I celebrate you and that life today!

1 comment:

  1. It's so easy to want the world to revolve around me. Even with Good Friday we can focus on how we're feeling or how we feel we should be feeling. As I watched The Passion of the Christ last night, though, I was struck with the love and forgiveness of Christ. Not necessarily focusing on how Christ's death made me feel or how I should be responding to it, but just worshiping Christ for who He was and is. I definitely felt pain and sorrow and shock through the movie, but over all that, I just felt amazement at what Christ was doing for those people who hated him then as well as for all of us humans and me.

    You started your post referencing the bread and wine, and even there Christ's words were "Do this in remembrance of me." There are two angles to this- our actions of "do this" and Christ's life, death and resurrection "in remembrance of me." It's easy to focus on my actions because "doing" is a lot easier than "being." However, I want to live in this Easter season by focusing on worshiping God and remembering what Christ did and who He is. Obviously, we all need to process who we are because of Christ, and live out our lives in light of that, but for now I want to take my eyes off of me and worship Him for His love.

    ReplyDelete